Friday, November 13, 2009

Lolita vs Lilith

I stumbled upon something interesting that kind of connects with Lolita being presented as an Eve like character.

While going through names that sound similar to Lolita, I found the name Lilith. It is of Babylonian origin, and means "belonging to the night." I thought that was kind of funny because night or darkness generally represents evil and can be used to represent temptation, and Lolita is most definitely characterised as a temptress. However, that is not all. According to middle aged legends, Lilith was also the names of Adam's (as in Adam and Eve) first wife. I don't come from a particularly religious family, so I'm not sure if that is generally taught when speaking about Genesis, but this was news to me. Apparently, as the legend goes Lilith refused to obey Adam, and as a result she was turned into a demon and Eve was created to take her place.

I just found this interesting because it ties into my paper topic in kind of a weird way.

No comments:

Post a Comment